booklish booklist #2a
Yes, 2a- the lovely Ros (of no blog) has sent in a fiction list and a non-fiction list (excellent!)
Part one: fiction...
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Strictly speaking a childrens book (I got this out of the library on a regular basis when I was a kid) but it stands up to adult reading well. It's sort of sci-fi/fantasy, but very human too. Scared me silly as a child, which is always a good recommendation!
The Dribblesome Teapots and Other Incredible Stories by Norman Hunter
Written by the creator of Professor Branestawm, and now sadly out of print, the Dribblesome Teapots is again strictly a children's book, but it never fails to make me giggle. My grandmother used to borrow it whenever she had to go into hospital, saying it was ideal to take her mind off grim reality...
The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay
Okay, I'm cheating, but like most trilogies you really need to read all three consecutively. These are pseudo-Arthurian fantasy set in the "first world" - lots of struggling with the forces of dark. Very well written, and the last of the series is the only book that reliably reduces me to tears.
The Galactic Milieu Trilogy by Julian May
Yup, cheating again! Even more so, because these are tied in with the Saga of the Exiles series, which is another 4 books... Set in what was near future when they were written, these are about the emergence of psychic powers in the human race, and the integration of the human race into the galactic milieu of the title. Credible (scarily so) and involving. Julian May is a woman, by the way...
Any Darkover novel! Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote a lot of these, and they're all very good. If pinned down I'd say probably Stormqueen or The Shattered Chain. MZB died in 1999, which was a great shame - she's quite possibly the best author I've encountered.
The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams
Described by the author as a trilogy in five parts, I'm cheating yet again! I'd hope anyone reading this has encountered HHGTTG in some form or another, so nuff said... ;-)
Thanks Ros! Wow, haven't read any of these, and have only heard of two of them! What about my readers?
Part one: fiction...
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Strictly speaking a childrens book (I got this out of the library on a regular basis when I was a kid) but it stands up to adult reading well. It's sort of sci-fi/fantasy, but very human too. Scared me silly as a child, which is always a good recommendation!
The Dribblesome Teapots and Other Incredible Stories by Norman Hunter
Written by the creator of Professor Branestawm, and now sadly out of print, the Dribblesome Teapots is again strictly a children's book, but it never fails to make me giggle. My grandmother used to borrow it whenever she had to go into hospital, saying it was ideal to take her mind off grim reality...
The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay
Okay, I'm cheating, but like most trilogies you really need to read all three consecutively. These are pseudo-Arthurian fantasy set in the "first world" - lots of struggling with the forces of dark. Very well written, and the last of the series is the only book that reliably reduces me to tears.
The Galactic Milieu Trilogy by Julian May
Yup, cheating again! Even more so, because these are tied in with the Saga of the Exiles series, which is another 4 books... Set in what was near future when they were written, these are about the emergence of psychic powers in the human race, and the integration of the human race into the galactic milieu of the title. Credible (scarily so) and involving. Julian May is a woman, by the way...
Any Darkover novel! Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote a lot of these, and they're all very good. If pinned down I'd say probably Stormqueen or The Shattered Chain. MZB died in 1999, which was a great shame - she's quite possibly the best author I've encountered.
The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams
Described by the author as a trilogy in five parts, I'm cheating yet again! I'd hope anyone reading this has encountered HHGTTG in some form or another, so nuff said... ;-)
Thanks Ros! Wow, haven't read any of these, and have only heard of two of them! What about my readers?
Only heard of the Douglas Adams one and the Teapots because of Ros's previous chat about this. Not my sort of thing at all. LOL.
Posted by
Unknown |
Monday, July 17, 2006